For vBulletin 4 owners who utilize the CMS aspect of vBulletin, there are no current converters for migrating vBulletin 4 CMS Articles into WordPress as Posts. If you intend to use WordPress as your primary software platform and you have hundreds if not thousands of vB4 CMS Articles you will definitely want to import all your articles! Losing that many articles from search results and rankings is not an option in the least so today we present you with a vB4 CMS Article to WP Post Converter!
If you’re planning on importing your vBulletin forum please do that first by using our article “Importing Forum Software into WordPress Forum using BBPress” before you import your CMS articles.
Now after you’ve successfully imported your forum, it’s time to import your CMS Articles from vBulletin into WordPress as Posts, this way they show on your WordPress home page. Let’s review the steps, then we’ll also discuss possible plugins you may wish to use.
- Download the included converter.php and converter_inc.php files from our zip file vb4cmsarticlestowpposts
- Extract the .zip file, edit the file converter_inc.php file and enter in your vBulletin 4 database details then save the file.
- Upload the two files into your WordPress root folder.
- Now simply call the script via URL, i.e. in your browser after your wordpress url add a slash and type in the script name, Example: /converter.php so if your site is example.com, it would be www.example.com/converter.php. IF you installed WordPress in a folder to test the import, then it would be www.example.com/foldername/converter.php.
- The script will run, you will see data being imported on screen, depending on the number of articles in your vBulleitn CMS it may take more time to run for some than others. Once the script is finished it will stop, give a it a few minutes to ensure its not still processing before you close your browser window.
- When you believe its finished, check your WordPress dashboard, check the Posts and ensure all were imported.
If you provided the correct database details and uploaded the script properly and followed the instructions above you should now be looking at all your vBulletin CMS Articles within WordPress! Enjoy!
What’s next? Good you asked! Now lets import external images, then attachments as the script does in fact show attachments in the posts but as images coming from your vBulleitn software and since you’ve just imported into WordPress its safe to assume you’re almost ready to remove vBulletin entirely and if you do so before importing external images and attachments then they’ll be removed when you do, ruh-roh!
First you need to install some WordPress plugins:
- https://wordpress.org/plugins/import-external-images/ *Install and run this first, remove it and run the next script;
The two above scripts will import external images and attachments. Why do you need both? Good question, think of it this way, your WordPress is now “itself” meaning that it views itself as the primary software, so any links to external images such as those in your forum will be viewed as external images to WordPress so we need to ensure we import any external images AND attachments no matter how WordPress “views” or interprets them.
After you’ve successfully imported external images and attachments you’re then safe to remove your vBulletin forum (if using the CMS system remove the entire Suite). We do recommend you backup your vBulletin site before removing entirely, backup the files and database and retain a copy in the event you need to reference any data it can be restored and the data easily retrieved.
- This new script was made from the tutorial on Military Media however it would not run properly and had errors when testing so it was adjusted to work properly on WordPress 4.6 and 4.7 respectively.